community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Veto! Veto?
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:15:31 GMT

On 03/24/2015 11:01 AM, jan i wrote:
> Consider the scenario a PMC discusses, and the vote is called (indirectly
> to stop critical voices) early, then a -1 is the only
> way to express your opinion.
>
> When we define rules, as important as this, we should not look so much at
> the "good weather" situations, but where things dont follow the book,
> like a vote called on purpose too early.

In that case, veto the *vote*, not the person.

That is, if you feel that a community has called a vote early
specifically to quell dissent, then you, as a community member, should
declare the vote invalid.

"This vote is premature, and I declare it invalid. Let's discuss this
some more until there's consensus."

The real problem here is creating situations where a veto can happen at
all. As Greg has said a bunch of times, in this thread and in others,
votes are not the place to generate consensus. To quote:

"Stop with the "Votes" ... Damn I hate that. Generate consensus. A vote
does not generate consensus. It forces a result, and those voting fall
into winners/losers rather than general consensus."

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon