community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Veto! Veto?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:56:07 GMT

On 03/23/2015 12:44 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 3/23/15, 2:39 AM, "Pierre Smits" <pierre.smits@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If one of its principles or boundaries is community over code and if the
>> ASF wants that the diversity within the communities of it projects is
>> reflected in the group of committers and in PMC, how can it then be that a
>> PMC may have it different and can veto on- and off-boarding of persons of
>> the other kind?
>
> A healthy community can have vetoes for people actions and never mis-use
> them.  Vetoes are supposed to have a justification for the veto attached
> to it.  Vetoes based on discrimination should probably result in the
> vetoer getting removed from the PMC if they refuse to rescind their veto.
>
> It sounds like your community should not be allowing vetoes.  Start the
> process of making that change and ask for board support if you need it
> since there is precedent for this very thing.  That newcommitter page cost
> at least one other project some serious time.

The board is going to be VERY reluctant to tell a PMC how to invite
committers. I would almost go so far as to say that the board WILL NOT
do that, unless there's compelling evidence that the PMC is being
anti-community in their practices - for example, refusing to select
committers with particular corporate affiliations, or people of
particular race/gender/creed.

Yes, a DISCUSS conversation should have resolved difficulties before it
ever came to a VOTE, and it's regrettable that it didn't. Indeed, it's
regrettable, in my opinion, that a committer should be vetoed at all.
But it's not the role of the board to dictate to a project who they
should give the commit bit to.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon