community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] Scheduling help, pass 2
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 20:07:54 GMT

On 03/17/2015 03:59 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> I was confused about waitlisted talks, if there are talks which can of potential interest,
I also prefer to give that a go first. But frankly I could not find any wait listed science
talks (but I might have not looked at correct place).

Ok, we'll go through the waitlisted talks, and then I'll get back to you.

> Regarding this talk, the connection to ApacheCon is it is a downstream usage of Apache
Airavata. I feel this will be interest to the rest of the Science Track presenters and attendees.
The speaker to think, his general purpose application framework is applicable beyond science
usage, but I myself have not spent time to gauge those aspects.

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification. (I'm very ignorant of that
project space in general.)

> Suresh
> P.S. My interactions with the presenter also included him planning to bring this talk
to Apache (either as  stand alone incubator or merge into Airavata). But I did not see those
as a qualifier for the talk hence did not discuss them.

Very cool.

>> On Mar 17, 2015, at 3:48 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, Suresh, I dropped this thread entirely last week.
>>
>> We would, of course, want to take waitlisted talks from the CFP first before we go
out to solicit other talks.

>>  From the abstract you share here - it's unclear to me how this talk fits at ApacheCon
- not that we're completely uninterested in external projects, but if there's a connection,
that would give it more weight. Can you elaborate on that?

>> --Rich

two in "Content". and one in “Mobile"

>>> Hi Rich,
>>>
>>> Are you still looking to fill the two science talks? I have reached out to academic
colleagues in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston area to consider attending the conference.
One of them expressed interest to give a talk. This might appeal to the science track attendees.
Here are the details for consideration:

>>> Abstract:
>>> This talk will discuss the GenApp framework, a new open framework generating
code on a set of scientific modules that is easily extensible to new environments.  For example,
one can take a set of module definitions and generate a complete HTML5/PHP science gateway
and a Qt4/GUI application on the identical set of modules.  If a new technology comes along,
the framework can easily be extended to new “target languages” by including appropriate
code fragments without effecting the underlying modules. One motivation for the development
was based upon observation of the life cycle of scientific lab generated code, which frequently
is underfunded and developed by overburdened researchers.  Many times useful code and routines
are lost with the retirement or redirected interest of the scientists.  One goal for this
framework is to insure good scientific software be preserved in an ever evolving software
landscape without the expense of a full time CS staff.  This framework is current
>> being used to wrap scientific code performing small angle scattering computations,
but is not restricted to any one discipline.  A successful GSoC 2014 project integrated GenApp
with Apache Airavata for execution of modules on variously managed cluster resources in the
HTML5/PHP, Qt3/GUI and Qt4/GUI “target languages”.   In this presentation, Emre Brookes
will explain the framework, demonstrate its application and discuss his plans for growing
the community.

>>> Bio:
>>> Emre is an assistant professor in the Department of Biochemistry at the University
of Texas Health Science Center at San Ant   To provide the scientific community access to
these methods, he created the first UltraScan Science Gateway, which has since migrated to
Apache Airavata.  These methods annually use millions of cpu hours of parallel resources supporting
scientific research world wide.  His work concentrates on developing tools for analysis of
scientific experimental data.  He is the primary developer of the US-SOMO hydrodynamic modeling
suite http://somo.uthscsa.edu and is actively involved with the hydrodynamic modeling, small-angle
scattering and high-performance computational communities. He has given over 30 talks at conferences
in these areas and has, as of this writing, contributed to 29 peer reviewed publications.
 His most recent work, GenApp, focuses on developing an open framework to ease deployment
of new and legacy scientific codes.

>>> Let me know if this if of interest and I can follow up.
>>>
>>> Suresh

talk(s) you think we should swap in for those missing talks. Just get in touch with me and
I'll send you what remains of the track, so that you know what we're working with.