community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] Scheduling help, pass 2
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 19:48:10 GMT
Sorry, Suresh, I dropped this thread entirely last week.

We would, of course, want to take waitlisted talks from the CFP first
before we go out to solicit other talks.

 From the abstract you share here - it's unclear to me how this talk
fits at ApacheCon - not that we're completely uninterested in external
projects, but if there's a connection, that would give it more weight.
Can you elaborate on that?

--Rich

On 03/13/2015 10:27 AM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2015, at 2:56 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>>
>> Craig has mentioned me that we have several slots that have opened up due to cancellations.
>>
>> Looks to me that we have two in Science, one in "Big Data; Big Picture", two in "Content".
and one in “Mobile"

> Hi Rich,
>
> Are you still looking to fill the two science talks? I have reached out to academic colleagues
in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston area to consider attending the conference. One of
them expressed interest to give a talk. This might appeal to the science track attendees.
Here are the details for consideration:

> Abstract:
> This talk will discuss the GenApp framework, a new open framework generating code on
a set of scientific modules that is easily extensible to new environments.  For example, one
can take a set of module definitions and generate a complete HTML5/PHP science gateway and
a Qt4/GUI application on the identical set of modules.  If a new technology comes along, the
framework can easily be extended to new “target languages” by including appropriate code
fragments without effecting the underlying modules. One motivation for the development was
based upon observation of the life cycle of scientific lab generated code, which frequently
is underfunded and developed by overburdened researchers.  Many times useful code and routines
are lost with the retirement or redirected interest of the scientists.  One goal for this
framework is to insure good scientific software be preserved in an ever evolving software
landscape without the expense of a full time CS staff.  This framework is currently

being used to wrap scientific code performing small angle scattering computations, but is
not restricted to any one discipline.  A successful GSoC 2014 project integrated GenApp with
Apache Airavata for execution of modules on variously managed cluster resources in the HTML5/PHP,
Qt3/GUI and Qt4/GUI “target languages”.   In this presentation, Emre Brookes will explain
the framework, demonstrate its application and discuss his plans for growing the community.

> Bio:
> Emre is an assistant professor in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of
Texas Health Science Center at San Ant   To provide the scientific community access to these
methods, he created the first UltraScan Science Gateway, which has since migrated to Apache
Airavata.  These methods annually use millions of cpu hours of parallel resources supporting
scientific research world wide.  His work concentrates on developing tools for analysis of
scientific experimental data.  He is the primary developer of the US-SOMO hydrodynamic modeling
suite http://somo.uthscsa.edu and is actively involved with the hydrodynamic modeling, small-angle
scattering and high-performance computational communities. He has given over 30 talks at conferences
in these areas and has, as of this writing, contributed to 29 peer reviewed publications.
 His most recent work, GenApp, focuses on developing an open framework to ease deployment
of new and legacy scientific codes.

> Let me know if this if of interest and I can follow up.
>
> Suresh
>

>> If you have any insight into any of these areas, please let me know what talk(s)
you think we should swap in for those missing talks. Just get in touch with me and I'll send
you what remains of the track, so that you know what we're working with.