community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Replace projects.apache.org with projects-new.apache.org
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:28:22 GMT

On 2015-03-08 11:12, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> +0.5
>
> I really like the graphics and general idea: that's for sure the way to go!
>
> but before switching, there are some issues to fix, IMHO:
>
> - "Whereas the old pages were basic, the new ones have kind of an unusual dark
> theme to them and look unpolished (vs. just plain as the old one)" (copy/paste
> of another feedback that perfectly summarised a feeling I could not express
> better)

Heh, not really a technical argument ;-) But if people feel it's too
dark, they are more than welcome to submit a patch for something lighter :)

> - can we have a link to source? how can we submit patches? how can we test for
> ourselves improvement ideas before submitting patches? This is really a good
> start, but IMHO, if we don't have community involved in updates, this new site
> will loose a great opportunity to have contributors (unless it is a choice to
> avoid contributors)

It's under the comdev banner, and as such, is available at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/projects.apache.org/

> - why doesn't this use the CMS for some classical pages? Should not some parts
> of the old site be added to the new graphic content? While graphics and
> generated content are great, I think that some handwritten content would be
> useful (to explain where data come from, for example, or what happened to
> DOAP, or how to contribute...)

All excellent points. If you check out the source, you can see that all
doap files have been converted to JSON instead.
As for CMS, I don't see any reason to use the CMS compared to just
editing it in svn - it's 4-5 pages, each around 10 lines of html, not a
500+ page behemoth.

> - the idea of online editing is great, but not knowing what happens behind the
> scene, I fear to add sub-projects: what sub-projects should be added? can sub-
> projects be removed if the addition gives unexpected result?

A delete feature would make sense, yes. As for what can be added, that's
really up to the project, just as it was with the doap files. If you
feel something in your project is a sub project in itself, you can add it.

> - what should we do with DOAP? Did I miss some explanations on private@ or
> dev@ ML from a project I'm working on?

DOAP will be replaced by the online editing. We haven't contacted
projects about this yet, but on the other hand, I don't think we'd just
change the DNS without letting folks know what we were doing. It's only
been in testing so far. Once it was on the path to becoming something
more official, surely projects would be included more.

But it also requires people other than me to chip in - I only have so
many hands and feet :)

With regards,
Daniel.