community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Reporter Service
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:50:32 GMT
Hi folks,
as some of you will have noticed, either by the commits I just made or
conversations going on elsewhere, I have started work on a new helper
system for PMCs called the Apache Reporter Service. This is sort of an
external addition to Whimsy, and shows various statistics and data for
projects, designed to aid chairs (and other lurkers) in viewing and
compiling data for board reports.

The system is now live at: https://reporter.apache.org - you will need
to be a PMC member of a project to view this site, and you will - in
general - only be shown data for projects where you are on the PMC.

The system will show you:
- Your next report date and the chair of the project
- PMC and committership changes over the past 3 months, as well as
latest additions if >3 months ago
- The latest releases done this quarter (if added by RMs)
- Mailing list statistics: number of subscribers as well as number of
emails sent this quarter and the previous
- JIRA tickets opened/closed this quarter (if correctly mapped within
the system)
- A mock-up of a board report, with the above data compiled into it (to
be edited heavily by the chair!)

Quick-navigation (hot-links) can be done by using the LDAP name of a
project in the URL, for instance: https://reporter.apache.org/?apr would
navigate directly to the Apache Portable Runtime project if you are on
that PMC (or a member of the foundation).

The report mock-up is meant as a help only, not a canonical template for
board reports. Vital items, such as community activity and board issues
are intentionally left for the reporter (chair) to fill out, and heaven
help the woman/man who submits a report with these fields left as
default ;).

Later today, I plan to enable the distribution watching part of this
service, which will send reminders to anyone who pushes a release, that
they should (not required, but if they want to!) add their release data
to the system, so as to help others using the system to get an overview
of the status of any given project.

I have already gotten a lot of really useful feedback, but if you see
something you'd like to change, either shoot me an email here on the
comdev list, or commit a change to the system in svn.

With regards,
Daniel.