community-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:22:21 GMT
Looks good to me. Thanks a ton Sally!

Cheers,

Uli

> Am 15.03.2015 um 23:13 schrieb Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org>:
>
> Hello again!
>
> Below is the revised version that incorporates your changes, Uli. If you can please let
me know if this meets your approval, I'd appreciate it!

> Warm regards,
> Sally
>
> = = =
>

> DRAFT :: NOT FOR DISSEMINATION
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Accepted as a Google Summer of Code 2015 Mentoring Organization
>
> Hundreds of students mentored in "The Apache Way" of community-driven development since
the program's inception in 2005.

> Forest Hill, MD –17 March 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today that it has been accepted as a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) mentoring organization
for the 11th consecutive year.

> The Google Summer of Code program offers student developers stipends to write code for
various Open Source projects over a three month period. This year, students will be paired
with mentors from 137 Open Source, free software, and technology-related groups that include
CERN, GNU Project, KDE, MIT Media Lab, WikiMedia Foundation, and many more.

> The ASF was amongst the initial 39 organizations selected to participate in the very
first GSoC in 2005, and has participated every year since. At the ASF, the GSoC program is
overseen by the Apache Community Development project, which comprises volunteers who help
guide newcomers to The Apache Software Foundation, provide insight and advice on The Apache
Way of meritocratic development, including how to contribute to Apache projects and to the
Open Source community at-large.

> "Over the summer, Apache Committers will mentor students that are sponsored by Google
and will be working on many of our projects," said Ulrich Stärk, Vice President of Community
Development at the ASF. "The program helps us to not only get some great code written, but
also to introduce students into Open Source development and hopefully recruit some new long-term
Committers."

> Students are encouraged to discuss ideas with mentoring organizations and finalize proposals
for projects of interest by the 27 March deadline. ASF mentors have proposed 129 ideas for
Apache projects in Big Data, Cloud, Enterprise Integration, Enterprise Search, Project Management,
Semantic Web & Linked Data, along with other categories. Students may choose from the
Apache "Ideas Page" at http://s.apache.org/gsoc2015ideas or suggest their own project for
approval. Coding will begin 25 May and end 21 August.

> "GSoC gives students the chance to work on industry-leading Open Source projects, collaborate
with diverse communities, and gain real world experience related to their academic pursuits,"
added Stärk. "We are proud to have mentored so many talented students over the years, and
furthered our mission of providing software products for the public good. It's a rewarding
experience both for the students and the Apache community at-large."

> Since the program's inception, GSoC has brought together over 8,500 successful student
participants from over countries and over 8,000 mentors from 109 countries worldwide to produce
over 55 million lines of code.

> "Being accepted once again as a Google Summer of Code mentoring organization reinforces
The Apache Software Foundation's leadership in community-driven development," said ASF Vice
Chairman Greg Stein, who, in 2005 co-created the GSoC program while working at Google. "Hundreds
of students have been mentored in 'The Apache Way' --many have continued on to become long-term
code committers on a variety of Apache projects, with some active program participants elected
as ASF Members."

> Information on the ASF's participation in Google Summer of Code is available at http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
> Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open
Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software.
Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 500 individual
Members and 4,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo.
The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations and corporate
sponsors including Budget Direct, Cerner, Citrix, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks,
HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, Pivotal, Produban, WANdisco,
and Yahoo. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow https://twitter.com/TheASF

> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Apache HTTP Server", and "ApacheCon", are
trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property
of their respective owners.

"press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>; Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org>

Khudairi wrote:
>> Hi everyone --as promised, below is the draft announcement.
>>
>> Please review and forward any additions/corrections no later than 5PM ET tomorrow
(Monday) in
>> order for us to announce on Tuesday. Should we be able to finalize before then (by
9PM ET TODAY),
>> we can go live Monday morning if you'd like. Also, if someone can please update the
ASF
>> boilerplate at http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/apache to
the one at the
>> bottom of the draft announcement (below), that would be great. Will do. >
>> Thanks so much, Sally
>>
>> = = =
>>

>> DRAFT :: NOT FOR DISSEMINATION
>>
>> The Apache Software Foundation Accepted as a Google Summer of Code 2015 Mentoring
Organization

>> Hundreds of students mentored in "The Apache Way" of community-driven development
since the
>> program's inception in 2005.
>>
>> Forest Hill, MD –17 March 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
>> developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
>> announced today that it has been accepted as a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) mentoring
>> organization for the 11th consecutive year.
>>
>> The Google Summer of Code program offers student developers stipends to write code
for various
>> Open Source projects over a three month period. This year, students will be paired
with mentors
>> from 137 Open Source, free software, and technology-related groups that include CERN,
GNU
>> Project, KDE, MIT Media Lab, WikiMedia Foundation, and many more.
>>
>> The ASF was amongst the initial 39 organizations selected to participate in the very
first GSoC
>> in 2005, and has participated every year since. At the ASF, the GSoC program is overseen
by the
>> Apache Community Development project, which comprises volunteers who help guide newcomers
to The
>> Apache Software Foundation, provide insight and advice on The Apache Way of meritocratic
>> development, including how to contribute to Apache projects and to the Open Source
community
>> at-large.
>>
>> "Over the summer, Apache Committers will mentor students that are sponsored by Google
and will be
>> working on many of our projects," said Ulrich Stärk, Vice President of Community
Development at
>> the ASF. "The program helps us to not only get some great code written, but also
to introduce
>> students into Open Source development and hopefully recruit some new long-term Committers."
>>
>> Now through 27 March, students are encouraged to discuss ideas with mentoring organizations
and
>> begin drafting proposals for those projects of interest. Coding will begin 25 May
and end 21 I'd make it more clear that March 27 is the student application *deadline*. To
me "begin drafting"
> sounds like they could start only then (but then I'm not a native speaker so it could
totally be OK
> to write it like that). > August. Thus far, 33 ideas have been proposed for Apache
projects in Big Data, Cloud, Enterprise
>> Integration, Enterprise Search, Project Management, Semantic Web & Linked Data,
along with other
>> categories. The complete Apache "Ideas Page" is at http://s.apache.org/cDg That sounds
a bit as if students have already submitted ideas for projects, which is not the case.
> We (our mentors) have created a list of project ideas (the official URL is http://s.apache.org/gsoc2015ideas)
from which students may choose (or better yet, come up with

Cc: Ulrich Stärk
>> <uli@spielviel.de>; "press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>; "dev@community.apache.org"
>> <dev@community.apache.org> Sent: Saturday, 14 March 2015, 18:44 Subject: Re:
ASF accepted as a
>> mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
>>

>> Thanks, Greg!
>>
>> That works --better to be a bit wordy and clear vs. brief and vague <g>
>>
>> We can always write "QUOTE," said Greg Stein, ASF Vice Chairman (and co-creator of
the GSoC
>> program, while working at Google in 2005).
>>

>> Now for the quote itself... I'll put that in the draft that I'll be sending over
later.

>> Cheers & chat soon, Sally
>>

>> ________________________________ From: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> To: Sally
Khudairi
>> <sk@apache.org> Cc: Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de>; "press@apache.org"
<press@apache.org>;
>> "dev@community.apache.org" <dev@community.apache.org> Sent: Saturday, 14 March
2015, 18:36
>> Subject: Re: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
>>

>> Sure, that sounds great! … are you looking for something like "co-creator of the
GSoC program,
>> while working at Google in 2005" ??  That's a bit of a mouthful, but is that the
direction you're
>> thinking?
>>
>> And please go ahead an draft up a quote. I'm not quite sure the angle you're looking
at, so best
>> if you go first :-)
>>
>> Thx, -g
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Greg,
>>>
>>> I'd like to put a placeholder for a quote for you in the announcement as well
(the lead quote
>>> will be coming from Uli).
>>>
>>> How would you like to have your attribution described in relation to GSoC? "ASF
Vice Chairman
>>> and @@WHATEXACTLY"
>>>
>>> Of course, I'll be happy to get a quote directly from you (vs. having to de-Sally-fy
my
>>> proposed blurb) :-)
>>>
>>> If you don't want to be quoted, that's OK; I can use Ross as backup.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much,
>>>
>>> Sally
>>>
>>> ________________________________ From: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> To:
Sally Khudairi