community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2015 21:37:18 GMT
Thanks, Uli!

I'll incorporate your suggestions and forward the revised draft shortly.

How do you feel about your proposed quotes?

Chat soon,
Sally

[From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and brevity]

----- Reply message -----
From: "Ulrich Stärk" <uli@spielviel.de>
To: <dev@community.apache.org>, "Greg Stein" <gstein@gmail.com>
Cc: "press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>, "Sally Khudairi" <sk@apache.org>
Subject: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Sun, Mar 15, 2015 17:14

Thank you Sally,

my two comments are inline.

Cheers,

Uli

On 2015-03-15 17:37, Sally Khudairi wrote:
> Hi everyone --as promised, below is the draft announcement.
>
> Please review and forward any additions/corrections no later than 5PM ET tomorrow (Monday)
in
> order for us to announce on Tuesday. Should we be able to finalize before then (by 9PM
ET TODAY),
> we can go live Monday morning if you'd like. Also, if someone can please update the ASF
> boilerplate at http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/apache to the
one at the
> bottom of the draft announcement (below), that would be great.

Will do.

> Thanks so much, Sally
>
> = = =
>

> DRAFT :: NOT FOR DISSEMINATION
>
> The Apache Software Foundation Accepted as a Google Summer of Code 2015 Mentoring Organization
>

> Hundreds of students mentored in "The Apache Way" of community-driven development since
the
> program's inception in 2005.
>
> Forest Hill, MD –17 March 2015– The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
> developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
> announced today that it has been accepted as a Google Summer of Code (GSoC) mentoring
> organization for the 11th consecutive year.
>
> The Google Summer of Code program offers student developers stipends to write code for
various
> Open Source projects over a three month period. This year, students will be paired with
mentors
> from 137 Open Source, free software, and technology-related groups that include CERN,
GNU
> Project, KDE, MIT Media Lab, WikiMedia Foundation, and many more.
>
> The ASF was amongst the initial 39 organizations selected to participate in the very
first GSoC
> in 2005, and has participated every year since. At the ASF, the GSoC program is overseen
by the
> Apache Community Development project, which comprises volunteers who help guide newcomers
to The
> Apache Software Foundation, provide insight and advice on The Apache Way of meritocratic
> development, including how to contribute to Apache projects and to the Open Source community
> at-large.
>
> "Over the summer, Apache Committers will mentor students that are sponsored by Google
and will be
> working on many of our projects," said Ulrich Stärk, Vice President of Community Development
at
> the ASF. "The program helps us to not only get some great code written, but also to introduce
> students into Open Source development and hopefully recruit some new long-term Committers."
>
> Now through 27 March, students are encouraged to discuss ideas with mentoring organizations
and
> begin drafting proposals for those projects of interest. Coding will begin 25 May and
end 21

I'd make it more clear that March 27 is the student application *deadline*. To me "begin drafting"
sounds like they could start only then (but then I'm not a native speaker so it could totally
be OK
to write it like that).

> August. Thus far, 33 ideas have been proposed for Apache projects in Big Data, Cloud,
Enterprise
> Integration, Enterprise Search, Project Management, Semantic Web & Linked Data, along
with other
> categories. The complete Apache "Ideas Page" is at http://s.apache.org/cDg

That sounds a bit as if students have already submitted ideas for projects, which is not the
case.
We (our mentors) have created a list of project ideas (the official URL is
http://s.apache.org/gsoc2015ideas) from which students may choose (or better yet, come up
with
something on their own). Currently that list has 129 entries.

> "GSoC gives students the chance to work on industry-leading Open Source projects, collaborate
> with diverse communities, and gain real world experience related to their academic pursuits,"
> added Stärk. "We are proud to have mentored so many talented students over the years,
and
> furthered our mission of providing software products for the public good. It's a rewarding
> experience both for the students and the Apache community at-large."
>
> Since the program's inception, GSoC has brought together over 8,500 successful student
> participants from over countries and over 8,000 mentors from 109 countries worldwide
to produce
> over 55 million lines of code.
>
> "Being accepted once again as a Google Summer of Code mentoring organization reinforces
The
> Apache Software Foundation's leadership in community-driven development," said ASF Vice
Chairman
> Greg Stein, who, in 2005 co-created the GSoC program while working at Google. "Hundreds
of
> students have been mentored in 'The Apache Way' --many have continued on to become long-term
code
> committers on a variety of Apache projects, with some active program participants elected
as ASF
> Members."
>
> Information on the ASF's participation in Google Summer of Code is available at
> http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
>
> About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation
> oversees more than 350 leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the
world's
> most popular Web server software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The
Apache
> Way," more than 500 individual Members and 4,500 Committers successfully collaborate
to develop
> freely available enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands
of
> software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively
> participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's
> official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization,
> funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Budget Direct, Cerner,
Citrix,
> Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Hortonworks, HP, IBM, InMotion Hosting, iSigma,
Matt
> Mullenweg, Microsoft, Pivotal, Produban, WANdisco, and Yahoo. For more information, visit
> http://www.apache.org/ or follow https://twitter.com/TheASF
>
> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Apache HTTP Server", and "ApacheCon", are
trademarks
> of The Apache Software Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of
their
> respective owners.
>

> # # #
>
> [MEDIA CONTACT:SALLY] ________________________________
>
> From: Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> To: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> Cc:
Ulrich Stärk
> <uli@spielviel.de>; "press@apache.org" <press@apache.org>; "dev@community.apache.org"
> <dev@community.apache.org> Sent: Saturday, 14 March 2015, 18:44 Subject: Re: ASF
accepted as a
> mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
>

> Thanks, Greg!
>
> That works --better to be a bit wordy and clear vs. brief and vague <g>
>
> We can always write "QUOTE," said Greg Stein, ASF Vice Chairman (and co-creator of the
GSoC
> program, while working at Google in 2005).
>

> Now for the quote itself... I'll put that in the draft that I'll be sending over later.
>
> Cheers & chat soon, Sally
>

> ________________________________ From: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> To: Sally
Khudairi
> <sk@apache.org> Cc: Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de>; "press@apache.org"
<press@apache.org>;
> "dev@community.apache.org" <dev@community.apache.org> Sent: Saturday, 14 March
2015, 18:36
> Subject: Re: ASF accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2015
>

> Sure, that sounds great! … are you looking for something like "co-creator of the GSoC
program,
> while working at Google in 2005" ??  That's a bit of a mouthful, but is that the direction
you're
> thinking?
>
> And please go ahead an draft up a quote. I'm not quite sure the angle you're looking
at, so best
> if you go first :-)
>
> Thx, -g
>

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Greg,
>>
>> I'd like to put a placeholder for a quote for you in the announcement as well (the
lead quote
>> will be coming from Uli).
>>
>> How would you like to have your attribution described in relation to GSoC? "ASF Vice
Chairman