community-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] Keeping notes
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:31:36 GMT
On 18 February 2015 at 15:16, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> As we go through this process again and make a lot of the same mistakes I
> made the last two times, I'm trying really hard to keep notes so that when
> I hand this over to someone else, they don't have to figure it out all over
> again. I'm sure that Melissa will help me with this, but if there's
> something that has worked well, please put it in this thread. Please do not
> make this a bitchfest, or even a feature request list for the CFP system.
> let's pretend, for the moment, that the CFP system won't change for next
> time, and that we need to keep doing what we're doing now.
>
> So, ideally, we should start these things NOW for EU 2015.
>

> * Identify track chairs, and their responsibilities, earlier

+1

> * Share the schedule draft with them as soon as there's even a wireframe,
> so that folks have an idea what we're working with

+1

> * Share the main CFP spreadsheet with them earlier, so that people can
> "claim" talks for their track.

No please not directly, that caused a lot of problems at ACNA,ACEU, because
while you are add it, lets also change e.g. the title.

I proposed a macro on top of the spreadsheet, allowing people to view open
talks, and their track(s) but stopped it, because we changed the review
process.

> * Keep a list of likely tracks BEFORE the event, rather than trying to
> sweep stuff into piles after the fact. Put this information into the CFP.
> Identify projects that go with each track. Spam these projects' dev lists
> mercilessly throughout the CFP period.

+1

> * Clearly explain the role of the ASF vs the role of the LF. We are
> responsible for content, and only content, LF is responsible for everything
> else, and we need to stay out of their way and let them run a show. This is
> hard for us, as we are tinkerers by nature, and so we need to keep
> repeating this.

Actually Ross went quite a lot further in an earlier reply to me......where
LF was also responsible for "which content".

So we need to be precise here. I expect we are responsible for which
content in the form of tracks and presentation, as well as the content of
the presentations themself.

> What have I forgotten?

Based on the work I put in the last times, I believe we need a point person
that coordinates the actual filling of the spreadsheet.

just my 2ct.
rgds
jan i.