community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Apache Way talks
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:03:35 GMT
Louis, for independent data see http://openlife.cc/blogs/2010/november/how-grow-your-open-source-project-10x-and-revenues-5x

This isn't about the ASF but about foundations in general.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Louis Suárez-Potts<mailto:luispo@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎2/‎14/‎2015 9:48 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Apache Way talks

> On 14-02-2015, at 11:47, Nick Burch <nick@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2015, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
>> There is value in these sessions, some people are completely new and we probably
should still schedule them. However, I think we ought to do some new stuff along the lines
of:

>> How is the ASF different from other foundations?
>> Why should I bring my project to Apache?
>> How can I get paid to work on Apache projects?
>> How do I build a business around apache software?
>> Why doesn't the ASF pay for software development?
>> Why, after 15 years, do people see the ASF as a desirable place to take software?
>> Why does the ASF have a reputation for bureaucracy amongst the younger GitHub crowd?
>> Just what rules are immutable in the ASF?
>
> Looks a great list to me!
>
> My only comment is that these look like the titles of all the sessions from a Community
Track[1], rather than the parts of an abstract for just one talk. Is that what you had in
mind? Or do you think we can really fit all of that into a single session?

> Nick
>
> [1] Or even a whole conference! Say, called something like Transfer
>    Summit? ;-)

are there easily available data showing the benefits of plunking a project in Apache? One
could also use, I’d imagine, other measures of ecosystem robustness. Basically, some measure
or set thereof that illustrates the comparative benefit of Apache—?

Louis