community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [IDEA] ASF "Certifications"
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2015 21:04:15 GMT
+1 to What Rich says

Community managed examinations are unlikely to be adequately maintained.

However, someone making a living out of it whilst also respecting our marks helps to grow
the community. We should leave that space open for people with the time and skills.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2015 12:55 PM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: [IDEA] ASF "Certifications"

On 02/20/2015 12:26 PM, jay vyas wrote:
> Hi apache. Just had a thought.
>

> *** Should/Could the ASF  have its own project managed develoepr
> certification program (for "industry professionals") ? ***
>
> In apache projects, like hadoop, for example, we see lots of
> certifications come up, which are mostly a bunch of multiple choice
> questions, or a way to get you to take their class, and so on.
>
> - After all, we already have people qualified to be mentors, so nobody
> would dispute the distinction of such a certification.
>
> - I see alot of companies doing these certifications for apache
> projects (i.e. like hadoop for example, but there are others).  The
> programs seem to be valuable both to consumers (learn new skills) and
> to companies (Spread
> mindshare) alike.
>
> *** example ***
> On Apache BigTop, I think we could design a great big data
> certification, which would help grow the project, increase
> commitership, and also increase the back flow of collaboration from
> companies as well.  I think alot of other projects (for example, even
> the Apache HTTP server, Derby, CTakes, and so on).

Traditionally, the answer to this question is that the Foundation strongly encourages third-parties
to build certification programs around Apache technologies, but that the Foundation itself
doesn't want to get into that line of business.

There have been efforts to have community-written tests, and they have all bombed. This seems
like something that a motivated company is likely to have more success with.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com - @rbowen http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon