community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Apache Way talks
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:54:51 GMT
I didn't intend to say *all* rules are unnecessary. I said we have very few necessary rules.

I didn't intend to say policy *is* rule, I said it is interpreted as rule.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: sebb [mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2015 9:50 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: Apache Way talks

On 16 February 2015 at 16:51, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I think that's exactly it. If we write policy down it becomes a rule.

Huh?

Written policy only becomes a rule if the document declares it as such
- or perhaps, fails to declare it as policy.

There seem to be a lot of unwritten rules and unwritten policy in the ASF.
I think this is why there are so many arguments about what is absolutely required and what
is best practice.

Also that some rules are stated without providing the rationale.

> Rules work great when every environment is the same, but that's not the real world.

That suggests that rules are completely unnecessary.
I don't believe that is the case.

It ought to be possible to start from a strict requirement - for example, being able to establish
provenance of code - and derive some fundamental rules from that.

If a rule is stated without any background, it just becomes something to argue over, and edge
cases are more difficult to resolve.
Whereas if the rationale for a rule is documented, edge cases can be checked against the rationale.

> We do, as a group of individuals, have the tendency to assume the way things are done
in project Foo is the entirety of The Apache Way. In fact what is done in Foo is a superset
of the Apache Way, designed for that specific project.

> Consider Committer = PMC for example. The Apache Way only says that both groups should
be merit based (I.e. no cabals or BD). It says nothing about what the merit levels are or
whether they should be the same or different for each group. Yet, somehow, many people will
express their experience as being an immutable part of the Apache Way.