community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: ApacheCon NA CFP closed
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 16:25:17 GMT
If LF want to do it they can. It's their conference. I totally agree that we should not be
a part of it.

We discussed this when negotiation the contract. Buying sessions is not on the cards.

However, my point is not about sales pitches or bought slots. Mine is about taking it too
far. People have their time paid for by companies. Companies have valuable experience that
should be shared. A knee jerk "it mentioned a product therefore its a pitch" evaluation is
counter productive.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Joe Brockmeier<mailto:jzb@zonker.net>
Sent: ‎2/‎4/‎2015 7:17 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: ApacheCon NA CFP closed

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 09:07 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Regarding "commercial" or "advertising" presentations; Why should we
> reject
> these outright? Why not allocate a track for corporations to present
> whatever they like, in 20, 30 or 60 min blocks? And auction out those
> slots. Either there is a market, or there is not... And/or combine them
> with on-site sponsorship programs, of booths, give-aways and so on.
> Stallman wouldn't do this, but we are said to be business-friendly, are
> we not?

Not sure that allowing businesses to buy slots to run "advertising"
presentations is a good practice for ApacheCon, the attendees, or the
businesses that might purchase the slots.

We don't want to program "commercials" not because we're anti-business,
but because most attendees show little to no interest in attending a
commercial. So if we sell a track of product pitches, we risk annoying
the ApacheCon attendees *and* disappointing the vendors who will
inevitably be surprised when their presentations are not well received.

It is possible to do a useful, well-received talk that also promotes
your company/project - it just requires some additional thought and
preparation to make sure you are presenting what the audience is
interested in rather than just what your marketing department thinks
they should think/say about the company/product/project.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier