community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Cloud, Big Data and DevOps tracks
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:59:14 GMT

On 02/25/2015 06:46 PM, James Taylor wrote:
> I agree, Rich - can't have a talk on all 161 TLPs. But round about the
> 4th or 5th Tika talk (and no knock on that project - I'm sure it's a
> great project), I would have hoped you'd have considered other TLPs
> that don't have any representation (and that did submit a talk).

It's a bit of a catch-22. We have a limited number of tracks, and when
we have passionate champions come from various project communities to
pitch their track, and we're ignorant, as a group, of this other project
space, we have to make decisions based on what we know and who is
willing to do the work.

I've sent you private email with one possible option. Beyond that, the
solution here is to start campaigning for track space at ApacheCon EU.
(CFP coming soon at
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe/program/cfp )

We cannot (and should not) cover every project at every event. We'd love
to see LF pitch a particular theme for a conference, and craft our
content around that. We'd also love to see N topic-specific ApacheCons
paced throughout the year, so that we don't have to pick and choose
quite so much. These things cost money, and we have explicitly and
intentionally delegated money matters to LF.

I would love to have an OSCON-sized venue, budget, and schedule, where
we could cover every TLP and bring 5000 people to come to the party.
Indeed, it is my eventual goal. But until we are there, we have to try
to build a schedule around those people/projects who are available to
put in the time and passion to craft and promote the content.

This is the other problem - if we build content around a TLP that hasn't
bothered to show up to help, then we (the few, the proud, the ignorant)
are also on the line to promote that content that we're ignorant of.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon