community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [IDEA] ASF "Certifications"
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2015 20:54:44 GMT

On 02/20/2015 12:26 PM, jay vyas wrote:
> Hi apache. Just had a thought.
>

> *** Should/Could the ASF  have its own project managed develoepr
> certification program (for "industry professionals") ? ***
>
> In apache projects, like hadoop, for example, we see lots of certifications
> come up, which are mostly a bunch of multiple choice questions, or a way to
> get you to take their class, and so on.
>
> - After all, we already have people qualified to be mentors, so nobody
> would dispute the distinction of such a certification.
>
> - I see alot of companies doing these certifications for apache projects
> (i.e. like hadoop for example, but there are others).  The programs seem to
> be valuable both to consumers (learn new skills) and to companies (Spread
> mindshare) alike.
>
> *** example ***
> On Apache BigTop, I think we could design a great big data certification,
> which would help grow the project, increase commitership, and also increase
> the back flow of collaboration from companies as well.  I think alot of
> other projects (for example, even the Apache HTTP server, Derby, CTakes,
> and so on).

Traditionally, the answer to this question is that the Foundation
strongly encourages third-parties to build certification programs around
Apache technologies, but that the Foundation itself doesn't want to get
into that line of business.

There have been efforts to have community-written tests, and they have
all bombed. This seems like something that a motivated company is likely
to have more success with.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon