community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] Keeping notes
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:22:28 GMT

On 02/18/2015 09:31 AM, jan i wrote:
>> >* Clearly explain the role of the ASF vs the role of the LF. We are
>> >responsible for content, and only content, LF is responsible for everything
>> >else, and we need to stay out of their way and let them run a show. This is
>> >hard for us, as we are tinkerers by nature, and so we need to keep
>> >repeating this.
>> >
> Actually Ross went quite a lot further in an earlier reply to me......where
> LF was also responsible for "which content".
>
> So we need to be precise here. I expect we are responsible for which
> content in the form of tracks and presentation, as well as the content of
> the presentations themself.

 From a legal contractual perspective, LF owns the conference, end to
end. We license them a brand, and they are 100% responsible.

 From a practical perspective, they cannot do that without our help, and
I, as a volunteer, have agreed to be their liaison with the Apache
community. They want to put on a conference that is successful, and we
want them to put on a conference that accurately represents us, so we
have a mutual interest here. Just not a legal obligation. So it's an
important distinction, but a fuzzy one.

So, LF is responsible for which content we run, and they kindly delegate
that task to one point person at the ASF, which for this event is me,
and for future events will be someone else.

Note that we're also kinda sorta responsible for "internal" marketing -
ie, to our project communities - but not because that's in the contract,
but because we know better how to do it than someone "external" would do
it. These are, of course, completely artificial delineations. There is
no internal and external.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon