community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject [ApacheCon] Keeping notes
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:16:21 GMT
As we go through this process again and make a lot of the same mistakes
I made the last two times, I'm trying really hard to keep notes so that
when I hand this over to someone else, they don't have to figure it out
all over again. I'm sure that Melissa will help me with this, but if
there's something that has worked well, please put it in this thread.
Please do not make this a bitchfest, or even a feature request list for
the CFP system. let's pretend, for the moment, that the CFP system won't
change for next time, and that we need to keep doing what we're doing now.

So, ideally, we should start these things NOW for EU 2015.

* Identify track chairs, and their responsibilities, earlier
* Share the schedule draft with them as soon as there's even a
wireframe, so that folks have an idea what we're working with
* Share the main CFP spreadsheet with them earlier, so that people can
"claim" talks for their track.
* Keep a list of likely tracks BEFORE the event, rather than trying to
sweep stuff into piles after the fact. Put this information into the
CFP. Identify projects that go with each track. Spam these projects' dev
lists mercilessly throughout the CFP period.

* Clearly explain the role of the ASF vs the role of the LF. We are
responsible for content, and only content, LF is responsible for
everything else, and we need to stay out of their way and let them run a
show. This is hard for us, as we are tinkerers by nature, and so we need
to keep repeating this.

What have I forgotten?

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon