community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon NA CFP closed
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 14:08:23 GMT

On 02/03/2015 04:11 AM, jan i wrote:
> We should really make that clear to people, I strongly believe the general
> opinion is  non-project talks are not welcome. I base this on the fact that
> a number of talks for Denver and Budapest was rejected for being too
> company like.
>
> When I started helping a year ago, I had ideas about having 2 tracks (or
> the talks scattered around)
> - User (including companies) experiences with ASF projects
> - Companies presenting solutions based on ASF projects
>
> I quickly learned that that was not the purpose of ApacheCON, I am very
> trilled if that is the way we want to go because that is a real way to get
> AC to grow again.

For several years, we had a strong business track, where the
implications of The Apache Way to business (legal, marketing, planning,
community, whatever) were discussed. This just took someone to step up
and make it happen.

If someone comes to me tomorrow with a business track, complete with
content, we'll schedule it. Sally used to handle this, and with her
contacts was able to provide really strong content. There was indeed
resistance to this, because it's "not about Apache projects", but that
is very open to interpretation, and, in the end, it strengthened the
community as a whole.

But, we can't schedule talks that aren't submitted.

> LF cannot market this message alone, they need clear public statements from
> us, that we want companies to come and present. I am convinced that if we
> (e.g. for ACEU) make early press releases about wanting companies to talk,
> tell it to LF, then we will be a lot more successful.

+1

> If we just relax, and hope LF can lift that alone we will fail and keep
> telling each other how great projects we have ( which happens to be the
> truth, but maybe not the whole truth).

Yep. If we keep talking to just ourselves, we'll ... keep talking to
just ourselves.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon