community-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@slashdotmedia.com>
Subject Re: A maturity model for Apache projects
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 08:41:30 GMT

Sent from a miserable mobile device

> On 07/gen/2015, at 09:26, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/01/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>> With regard to "competitors," I just remind myself that forking is a
>> feature and that community before code means not acting like a
>> competitor.  One should not accept the so-called competitor's terms
>> of debate, no matter how much individuals might see and even prefer
>> "competition."
>
> I'll just note that "Forking is a feature" is totally unrelated to what I wrote. If Microsoft
starts a campaign to advocate IIS over the Apache HTTP Server, that PMC will have to follow
your route and "not accept the terms of debate" or it will have to give an answer, and part
of it may have to be discussed confidentially (even the Foundation Press Releases are not
discussed in public before they are issued; in the real world... this happens).

Exactly. We do all know very well Apache PR are discussed privately, not differently we (AOO)
do discuss how to address jpirnalists' questions privately, so that we do not look naive by
debating all details on a public ML, getting ridicolous and giving journalists a chance to
point to this or that opinion expressed in those threads.

> The discussion that followed seems to clearly show that this stays undecided. So, coming
back to the maturity model, I think that we can recommend a wise usage of the private list,
but not necessarily restrict it to votes and security. Trademark violations for example surely
belong there, and more can belong there depending on the project and on its public image.

> A note to reassure those who oppose it: I've never seen marketing strategy discussions
on the private lists I'm subscribed to. I'm definitely not a marketing-oriented person, but
I don't see marketing as inherently evil either.

I always thought Apache was about the code, how discussing some marketing stuff within the
PMC could be seen as a closed-source practice goes beyond my comprension.

Roberto