community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:58:45 GMT
I'm on a real computer now, so I've taken another look at the deck you shared. It brings up
a few questions:

Where is the data stored? For example, slide 6 shows he "Offices" tab, this has buttons for
creating new members, offices, officers, projects etc. Where is this data stored and how does
it get into LDAP where it currently needs to be? Remember, this data drives a whole load of
infrastructure already we can't simply move it, it would have significant knock-on effects
to much of our infrastructure.

Furthermore, what are the benefits of changing the way we create and edit this data? Have
those benefits been drawn up in consultation with infra and the secretary who are currently
tasked with maintaining the data?

As I understand it Daniel's proposal is limited to presentation of this data. Your proposal
goes a step further and I'm not sure that the need to take that extra step has been identified
by those responsible for managing those processes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, those responsible for fundraising and trademarks have identified a need
to improve their data collection and management. I assume Sally has her tools that she uses
for media but they are not here at the ASF and we have no visibility into that data. Whimsy
is a tool that is definitely needed by the board and is functional. I don't hear anyone complaining
about it, but there is a single individual maintaining it.

All I'm suggesting is that this might be an ideal opportunity to divide and conquer.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation