community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 18:22:14 GMT
"highly unlikely" is a mischaracterization and given that Pierre is spending time getting answers
to the questions asked I don't believe he has interpreted it that way. I believe Pierre understands
precisely what people are saying, accepts the concerns and is taking appropriate action to
address them.

Ross

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:07 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal

On 1/15/15, 9:46 AM, "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)"
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Where are you seeing "discouragement of pilot projects"?

In the tone and content of the responses on this thread, including this one where it feels
to me you are again using the maintenance and training costs to make it seem highly unlikely
that any pilot program would ever be accepted.  I understand we are using money from donors
and have to be somewhat conservative, but I don’t know if it really serves the mission of
the ASF to be one of the more conservative customers our projects will encounter.

IMO, it would be much more encouraging to say “I don’t know much about OFBiz but if you
can find volunteers to put together a pilot program and show us that it is easy to learn and
use and will save us time and money, we’ll give you an Azure VM to get started.”  How
easy something is to learn is often biased by whether that person is incentivized to learn
or not.

-Alex