community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:27:48 GMT
Louis, these are hardly ad-hoc committees, they are some of the oldest committees in the foundation.
They are Presidents committees and without them the ASF would not operate well at all.

Whimsy is not a committee but a set of tools maintained by Sam Ruby to help the board.

They are invisible to many, but that's because they are operations rather than community committees.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Louis Suárez-Potts<mailto:luispo@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎1/‎14/‎2015 8:24 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal

> On 14 Jan 2015, at 10:36, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> As I said when you originally raised this I would recommend focusing on a committee that
tracks other data, data that is not currently well structured. Trademarks, media, fundraising
and whimsy.apache.org are all examples.

+1, modulo my own dislike of ad hoc committees that become entrenched as bureaucratic institutions.

However, if the other instances that Ross points to have worked well enough and have retained
the plasticity that would keep them relevant and useful, then, sure.

louis