community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Mailinglists - a tool from the 90s?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2015 20:53:16 GMT

On 01/19/2015 10:59 AM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> Sounds promising, but everything showed as inactive, with no traffic on the demo link
provided.

> The concept, as described, is good, I like Google groups because they are both a mailing
list and a forum. If HyperKitty is something like that then it might be a good option. I'm
assuming it continues to use standards based formats - unless I can keep the archives on my
machine, so that I can work while offline, I'm against any such solution (like Bertrand says
this very hard rule is limited to dev work, but like David said, we already have plenty of
projects using other solutions for other communications).

> I'd be -1

Hmm. Looks like the demo is offline right now.

It's a front-end to the mailman archive tool, complete with search and
whatnot, but also acts as a posting interface, so that you can drop in
and post to a list without subscribing and downloading all of the archives.

The actual mailing list is still an actual mailing list. It's just that
the horrible old mailman web interface - eg this kind of thing -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rdo-list/ - is now a full-function forum
that people can use without being subscribed to the mailing list.

That is, if you want to keep treating the mailing list like a mailing
list, you can be blissfully unaware that there even is a web interface.
Feel free to keep your own personal archives, download mboxes, whatever
you like, if that's how you roll.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon