community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Mailinglists - a tool from the 90s?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:23:57 GMT

On 01/18/2015 07:34 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Now I'm curious: Does anybody here really like the use of mailing lists? Or
> do we all simply go through the struggle of setting up filters etc. just
> because this is the way it has always been?

Yes, I really like mailing lists. No, I've never found setting up
filters to be a struggle. Perhaps you're using tools from the 90s. I use
modern email clients.

Mailing lists allow me to process information at my own pace, in one
place (my mail client). Tools that make me go to a half-dozen different
websites may be prettier, but in the end, they invariably result in my
losing touch with those projects, because I simply have too many places
to check.

It's not because it's the way it's always been, so much that it's
because nobody has yet come up with something better that works for
everyone.

The tools that you mention - Gitlab/Github - communicate with me via
email, otherwise I'd simply never know that something had happened.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon