community-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [maturity] QU40 - backwards compatibility, change or remove?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 23:49:28 GMT
On 1/15/15 7:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There were several comments about QU40 in the
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ApacheProjectMaturityModel draft,
> which currently reads
>
>   QU40
>   The project puts a high priority on backwards compatibility and aims
> to document
>   any incompatible changes and provide tools and documentation to help users
>   transition to new features.
>
> Thinking about it, this is probably too much for the kind of generic
> maturity model that we are after.
>
> Shall we remove it, or do people have a better idea?
>
> Maybe something more generic such as "the project's quality goals (for
> example in terms of backwards compatibility, platform independence and
> automated test coverage) are clearly documented"? I'd like to include
> something about our general goal of producing quality software,
> without being too specific.

There are two different ideas here:

0) the project community cares about users and when making decisions
about compat breaks, etc., their needs are considered. They strive
to provide users whatever tools / support they need (could be
migration guides, could be compat jars, could be...) to keep happily
using the software as they improve it.
1) the project community is committed to producing high-quality
software useful to a broad community of users (good test coverage,
platform independence, limited dependencies, comprehensible APIs...)

Or possibly just the portion of 1) before the parens is all we can
say uniformly.  I would personally drop QU40.

Phil