community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 14:24:01 GMT

On 01/14/2015 06:42 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> I was probing the notion that it might be to the advantage of the OFBiz
> community to just volunteer something instead of being asked.  Maybe the
> folks on this list know the other Apache projects better than I do, but I
> wouldn’t even know what to ask for.

Yep. This. I've done some reading about OFBiz, but having never actually
used it, I wouldn't know where to start.

The other consideration is that once we had a mature thing based on
OFBiz, and once it became a critical service for the ASF, Infra would be
called upon to support it. This would require funding, expertise, and
time. Those can come from a variety of places, such as from the OFBiz
community, but *historically*, when this kind of thing has happened
(project implements, thing becomes critical), gradually it becomes the
responsibility of Infra, not of the project, to do ongoing maintenance.
Hence the need for a 5 year view rather than a "let's get this feature
working" view.

Why is this different from what Daniel has done? Because this is a "nice
to have", rather than a critical service. (Although that's a dangerous
thing to say, because something like this could easily *become* a
critical service.)

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon