community-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:21:27 GMT

Le 14/01/2015 18:42, Daniel Gruno a écrit :

> On 2015-01-14 18:37, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> Just as a note for the sake of truth, OFBiz has Content component http://projects.apache.pw/projects.html?category#content
>
> http://ofbiz.apache.org/doap_OFBiz.rdf disagrees ;-)
> but, assuming this gets accepted into comdev, you needn't worry about doap files any
longer, as you will be able to edit it online instead.

In the meantime I will amend doap_OFBiz.rdf , thanks for the pointer!

Jacques

> With regards,
> Daniel.
>

>> I very like what I saw, kudos!
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> Le 14/01/2015 12:48, Daniel Gruno a écrit :
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I was having a conversation with Rich (Bowen) some weeks ago, and the sentiment
was that our projects page ( projects.apache.org
>>> <http://projects.apache.org> ) could use a big overhaul. It's outdated,
not very user friendly, doesn't really compile the data into anything
>>> useful (mostly just displays "raw" data) and it's difficult to navigate (no search
abilities, no actual overviews).

>>> Therefore, I propose that the community development project takes over this project
from Infra, which has no interest in continuing/maintaining
>>> it, and revamps it with both a new site design and a new LDAP/JSON-based information
system which would enable people to edit their project
>>> details online without having to upload/change RDF files when something happens.
This would also mean that everything could be rendered in the
>>> browser instead of relying on daily cron jobs to compile the page, and also allow
us to add some inspiring/interesting graphical charts and

for preview at http://projects.apache.pw/ for those interested.
>>> Only the first two tabs in the menu currently work (and the extensive search
feature), but that is still most of what the old site has and then
>>> some. I am pondering on moving some of the front page stuff to the 'Timelines'
tab instead, feedback is appreciated on this.

>>> So, comments, feedback, questions, anything is most welcome, especially comments
on whether you:
>>> 1) think comdev should be responsible for the projects directory
>>> 2) think the proposal looks good/swell/nifty/whatever.
>>>
>>> A few notes on the search feature:
>>> - You can search for virtually anything within a project, types, languages, descriptions,
bug-trackers etc
>>> - Try typing your committer ID or Apache ID into the box, and it will show all
projects you are a part of

>>> If there is consensus for moving this into comdev framework and collaborating
on this, I will commit the proposal to a sub-folder in the comdev