community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:45:53 GMT
Let me just interject that this thread is (or was originally) about
replacing a convenience web site that helps people find projects of
interest, not about creating a canonical internal source for foundation
records :)

If such a canonical system was to be made, it would not be
projects.apache.org, it would probably be somewhere else (somewhere
internal?). I don't know that OFBiz can do the things I have in mind for
the projects directory, and as Rich pointed out, this should really be a
system that multiple comdev people could maintain and develop, and I
only know of one person in this discussion who knows enough about OFBiz
to do so.

Perhaps we should start a new thread about the OfBiz part? It seems to
be a very different discussion than what I had in mind, and most likely
a discussion that will go on for some time.

Furthermore, with my infra hat on, we already have enough technical debt
to deal with in the near future, we will not be supporting a new service
like OFBiz for quite a while, and especially not without someone from
OFBiz "paying the infra tax".

With regards,
Daniel.
On 2015-01-14 17:34, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> Maintaining servers costs money. Money has to come from somewhere and has to be budgeted.
We can't just drop a new demand on infra without discussing it with them and ensuring they
have the capacity.

> In terms of maintenance of the result Im thinking who makes the changes we need as requirements
change over time? Somebody needs to be responsible for that and we need to be sure it is sustainable.
The easier it is to maintain the easier it is to find someone willing to do it.

> As for my suggestion for OfBiz to be applied to operational area of the foundation I
said "currently unstructured" that is the information is in ad-hoc spreadsheets and mailing
lists.  OfBiz is, as far as I'm aware, designed for the kinds of functions I listed.