community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject projects.apache.org overhaul proposal
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:48:25 GMT
Hi folks,
I was having a conversation with Rich (Bowen) some weeks ago, and the
sentiment was that our projects page ( projects.apache.org
<http://projects.apache.org> ) could use a big overhaul. It's outdated,
not very user friendly, doesn't really compile the data into anything
useful (mostly just displays "raw" data) and it's difficult to navigate
(no search abilities, no actual overviews).

Therefore, I propose that the community development project takes over
this project from Infra, which has no interest in continuing/maintaining
it, and revamps it with both a new site design and a new LDAP/JSON-based
information system which would enable people to edit their project
details online without having to upload/change RDF files when something
happens. This would also mean that everything could be rendered in the
browser instead of relying on daily cron jobs to compile the page, and
also allow us to add some inspiring/interesting graphical charts and
overviews/timelines.

I have been working on a proposal that follows these ideas, which is
available for preview at http://projects.apache.pw/ for those
interested. Only the first two tabs in the menu currently work (and the
extensive search feature), but that is still most of what the old site
has and then some. I am pondering on moving some of the front page stuff
to the 'Timelines' tab instead, feedback is appreciated on this.

So, comments, feedback, questions, anything is most welcome, especially
comments on whether you:
1) think comdev should be responsible for the projects directory
2) think the proposal looks good/swell/nifty/whatever.

A few notes on the search feature:
- You can search for virtually anything within a project, types,
languages, descriptions, bug-trackers etc
- Try typing your committer ID or Apache ID into the box, and it will
show all projects you are a part of

If there is consensus for moving this into comdev framework and
collaborating on this, I will commit the proposal to a sub-folder in the
comdev svn repository and ask infra for a VM where we can set this up.

With regards,
Daniel.