community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon papers?
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:35:24 GMT

On 01/12/2015 06:02 PM, Claude Warren wrote:
> I noticed that the ApacheCon site seems to have downloads of slide decks.
>
> I have a friend that did "A year without Powerpoint(tm)".  That is, he
> provided more detail in the takeaway documents.  I find that the slides
> from a slide show are worthless after a couple of hours, that I don't
> recall the detail I need.  However, a document that contains the basic
> synopsis of the idea, the work done to prove/disporve viability, contact
> info and URIs is much valuable.
>
> Would ApacheCon place other speaker provided documents on the donwload site
> in additon to the slide deck?

That would, indeed, be awesome, if we could persuade even a small number
of the speakers to provide this kind of a writeup. I know that for
myself, my slides are cue cards - that is, they don't contain most of
the useful information, but are just bullets to remind me what I wanted
to say. So, yes, agreed, my slide decks are worthless without the talk
to go along with it.

I will attempt to do what you request, for Austin. But understand, as
Ross points out, that it's amazingly hard getting people just to upload
their slides. Having them write the kind of proceedings you're asking
for is a worthy undertaking, but I don't expect much success.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon