community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing zyz.apache.org (was RE: WELCOME to dev@community.apache.org)
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2015 09:01:47 GMT

On 2015-01-08 09:55, Robert Metzger wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> If there is sufficient demand, however, that could change - the code that
> would make this possible does exist.
>
> I would like to express demand from the Flink project. svn is a pain to use
> (since we host javadocs and our documentation on our website, the upload
> usually runs for 6+ hours. Probably because its so many files).
How is that in any way related to svn? svn or git, if you have that many
files, it's going to take ages to upload regardless of which repository
system you use.

If it makes it easier, you might peruse
http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#external-build and see if you
can't use an external build job for you site - that way, you just commit
the changes to your template/raw docs, and the CMS system builds the
javadoc for you.

> Almost all incoming incubator projects are using git nowadays. Many of them
> use GitHub and the "gh-pages" hosting feature. I guess a lot of them would
> appreciate a similar feature from the ASF infra.
>

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jay,
>> It sounds like you have the CMS setup that is quite common in the ASF.
>> If you would rather have straight-up svnpubsub, you can ask for it. That
>> way, whatever static content you push to svn will instantly be shown on
>> your web site without having to publish through the UI first.
>>
>> The main reason we do not support git in this workflow is that git does
>> not enable single-file checkouts, and that we haven't properly tested
>> gitwcsub (a git version of svnwcsub which is the frontend for svnpubsub)
>> for web sites yet. If there is sufficient demand, however, that could
>> change - the code that would make this possible does exist.
>>
>> With regards,
>> Daniel.
>>

>> On 2015-01-07 21:29, jay vyas wrote:
>>
>>> thanks daniel...
>>>
>>>    here at bigtop we are 100% git based.  so having an svn account , just
>>> push changes to a site, seems to slow us down alot.
>>>
>>> is SVN required  ? or is there another way?
>>>
>>> right now we have a system that uses maven, followed by svn and then we
>>> have to approve the changes in the web ui.
>>>
>>> would rather just push static html pages to our git repo , the way we push
>>> everything else.
>>>
>>> are all apache projects using SVN or do some folks have an easier
>>> workflow ?
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Essentially, github uses the same method as we do with svnpubsub.

When