community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A maturity model for Apache projects
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 20:34:59 GMT
On 06/01/2015 Tim Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> The binaries OpenOffice makes available for download from its official site
>> are "convenience binaries" as per Bertrand's description. We are not going
>> to ask users to build it themselves!
> We're heading off-topic a bit, but... Really? I thought you guys were
> some sort of exception to our normal policy and that it was provided
> by the PMC.

We are really going off-topic, but just to clarify: the [VOTE] mail
references both the source and the convenience binaries. Convenience
binaries are prepared by the Release Manager on his own hardware (and
this is slowly moving to Apache-owned infrastructure). A major flaw in a
binary would be a reason for rejecting a release candidate, or asking a
rebuild of binary packages. So you guessed right: they are PMC-approved
convenience binaries.

I hope it's clear now. See here for a sample [VOTE] mail:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-qa/201408.mbox/%3C53EDB383.6080603@gmail.com%3E

Regards,
   Andrea.