community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A maturity model for Apache projects
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 19:48:18 GMT
On 06/01/2015 Daniel Gruno wrote:
> projects unfortunately have a tendency to use their private lists for
> much more than committer votes and security issues, which I find is bad
> practice.

If you as a project had a competitor, possibly a proprietary one, would
you discuss marketing strategy in public? Would you expect the same from
your competitor? This is a purely theoretical issue, but some projects
might be facing it. I don't have a clear-cut answer here. Maybe the
answer is yes, but in practice journalists expect to use confidential
channels. So press/marketing strategy might, and I repeat might, be
among the discussions allowed on the private list. Marketing activities
instead, as opposed to strategy, must surely be discussed on public lists.

Regards,
   Andrea.