community-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Content tracks at ApacheCon Austin
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2014 02:14:31 GMT
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, Rich Bowen wrote:
> On 11/24/2014 11:14 AM, Pei Chen wrote:
>> Is there any interest in having a category for Healthcare?  Would be
>> interesting to see how others use ASF projects to solve different
>> healthcare issues.
>> Jay (from BigTop/RedHat) and I (cTAKES) were possibly thinking of doing a
>> cross project/joint thing on analysis clinical text to demo at Austin...
>

> There's interest if there's content. If you want a track or category, you
> need to think in terms of the question "Will someone's manager approve an
> expense to travel to Austin for this content." If it's one talk, it's
> probably not going to draw an audience all by itself. If it's 3 or more
> strong talks, paired with supporting technical content in a related track,
> then it is.

I'm thinking of putting together a Content track, and I'd love to have a
CTAKES talk or two in that!

We might be able to talk someone like Lewis or Chris M into putting on a
science track. If that happens, I could see there being one good CTAKES
talk for the content track on how you use UIMA+OpenNLP, then another for
the science track on how you integrate CTAKEs with other things for
solving medical/science problems with it

(For $DAYJOB reasons, I'd love for use to heave a healthcare tech track,
but I'm not sure if there's enough healthcare related projects in the ASF
yet for a full day's content?)

Nick