community-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Content tracks at ApacheCon Austin
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2014 17:28:11 GMT

> On Nov 22, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> The CFP for ApacheCon Austin closes on February 1st, so we have just over 2 months to
get our content solicited for that event. I need your help.

> At ApacheCon EU this week, I spoke with a number of project PMCs. I requested that they
attempt to put together what they feel would be a good track - ie., a list of topics that
they feel would need to be covered in order for their project to be properly represented -
and then attempt to solicit *those* talks from their user/dev community.

> This has a few benefits over the standard "what do you want to talk about?" CFP process.
One, you end up with the talks that represent a full coverage of a project, without big holes.
And it's a great way to encourage new speakers who are having trouble deciding what they might
speak about.

> I believe I'll be getting tracks from:
>
> * Cloudstack
> * OFBiz
> * OpenOffice
> * Mesos
> * httpd
>
> I would ask that you make this request of your project PMC, those of you who have a project
(or more) that you are active on. Or find the person who should own this.

In Denver 2014, Apache Traffic Server had its own track. As much as I’d like to say it was
successful, I really don’t think it was. The audience was pretty much the same people that
attended the ATS Summit at the end of the week :). So, for 2015, I’d personally prefer ATS
does not get its own track, but is hopefully allowed at least 2-3 slots in some other “Web
server / ops” related track.

I know of a couple of very, very interesting presentations that would fit this more general
audience. One in particular from Comcast is incredible, and will blow peoples mind. But alas,
if it’s narrowed into being an ATS only track, I think it’ll be lost to the broader audience.
What I’m hoping from the ATS community perspective for ACNA 15 is something like

	* A few presentations that would fit into a non-ATS specific track (Web-ops, A patchy web
etc.)
	* At our ’15 Summit, which we hope will be adjacent to ACNA, we do ATS specific presentations

Fwiw, we tried a different format for our last fall Summit in California a few months ago,
and it was well received. It was a mix of developer, operations, and dev ops topics and presentations,
as well as design discussions (we split it into two different types of tracks).

What’s my point of all this rambling? Well, what I’m trying to say is that having entirely
project specific tracks might work well for some large projects, but probably not all. Certainly
not for the ATS project.

> Question: Do you think we need a dedicated mailing list for this, or should we continue
to do this on dev@community? (I'm open to either way, but if folks feel strongly one way or
the other, we should do that.)

I’d prefer keeping it on dev@community, but no strong preference.

Cheers,