community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Code of conduct
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:53:47 GMT
As many of you are no doubt aware, we have had on our website, for at
least 8 years, and, I think probably much longer, "Code of conduct,
coming soon!" Long enough, in fact, that I had completely forgotten
about it.

It was brought to my attention this morning, and I decided,
unilaterally, that it was appropriate for me to JFDI, and that I'd ask
for forgiveness rather than permission.

I have stolen, wholesale, the code of conduct of the CouchDB project [1]
which has discussed this extensively, and borrowed heavily from other
communities that have discussed it extensively. So this isn't original
content, but, rather, standing on the shoulders of giants.

I honestly can't figure out why we didn't just do this years ago, other
than expecting that someone else would.

So, without further ado:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct.html

Patches welcome.

I've also asked Noah Slater, who was very instrumental in crafting that
document, to speak up here, so that:

* Patches to one document will propagate to the other, where appropriate
* ComDev can have a boilerplate document that we can recommend that ASF
projects that don't have such a code, can adopt

Please do speak up if you have any objections to my taking this
initiative without discussion. But we've been discussing it, on and off,
for many, many years.

[1] http://couchdb.apache.org/conduct.html

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon