community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Consideration to Create GitHub Mirrors for Apache Extras Project
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:12:31 GMT
On 26/10/2014 Christoph Emmersberger wrote:
> I’m reaching out, in order to get your thoughts on the creation of GitHub mirrors for
existing Apache Extras project.

Since you are not subscribed to the list, you have probably missed a
relevant discussion. See this month's archives:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201410.mbox/browser
as David explained in the JIRA issue and Ross explained here.

> (1) Create an “Apache Extras” organisation on GitHub (similar to the Apache organisation
[3])
> (2) Notify Apache Extras projects about the existence of the GitHub organisation
> (3) Mirror existing Google code git repositories

The current proof of concept is on SourceForge not only because they
offered to create it, but also because many projects use Apache Extras
as a repository of auxiliary tarballs. This is what both Github and
Google Code forbid with their recent policies (if I remember correctly).
If it wasn't for the policy changes, I'd happily continue to use Apache
Extras on Google Code, since we have hardcoded links to it in the
OpenOffice source code.

Regards,
   Andrea.