community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Extras PoC
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:20:31 GMT
On 01/10/2014 David Nalley wrote:
> Roberto and others from Sourceforge have set up a proof of concept for
> the SF-based replacement for Apache Extras. You can take a look below.
> Comments/Input welcome.
> https://sourceforge.net/directory/vertical:Apache-Extras/

This was sent to the dev@community list, but seeing the very limited
feedback I'm CCing the dev@openoffice.apache.org list too.

I can say I managed to build OpenOffice trunk by replacing (and I'm not
suggesting that anyone commits this, it is just a proof of concept!)
-OOO_EXTRAS=http://ooo-extras.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/
+OOO_EXTRAS=http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/
and
-    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)
+    URL2 = $(OOO_EXTRAS)$(MD5)-$(name)/download
in external_deps.lst after deleting all third-party packages. So the
archive seems complete and working.

Honestly, with the very long filenames we use,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/?source=directory
is hardly readable, and this should definitely be improved is possible.

For the rest, does anybody know the status of the OpenOffice section in
Apache Extras?
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/ooo-extras/downloads/list
Didn't anybody complain so far simply because we haven't tried to upload
new auxiliary libraries there after December 2013? Or someone tried and
was hit by the new policy of Google Code as applied to Apache Extras? If
we are to change, it would be good to know in what way the current
solution is broken. My reading was that new uploads were forbidden, and
indeed if I login at the above URL I don't see an "Upload file"
function, but I used it only once in the past, so I'm not sure I'm
looking at the right places.

Regards,
   Andrea.