community-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Emmersberger <cemme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consideration to Create GitHub Mirrors for Apache Extras Project
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2014 23:54:27 GMT
Thanks for the heads up, … yes, I saw the previous discussion and no, my proposal is not
meant to target any of the current activities.

Just wanted to raise the question, if mirroring has been considered at any stage, or if this
is completely out of scope. The mirrors are rather a developer convenience and not meant to
replace the main repositories.

Best,

Christoph

> On 26 Oct 2014, at 15:12, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 26/10/2014 Christoph Emmersberger wrote:
>> I’m reaching out, in order to get your thoughts on the creation of GitHub mirrors
for existing Apache Extras project.

> Since you are not subscribed to the list, you have probably missed a relevant discussion.
See this month's archives: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/community-dev/201410.mbox/browser
as David explained in the JIRA issue and Ross explained here.

>> (1) Create an “Apache Extras” organisation on GitHub (similar to the Apache organisation
[3])
>> (2) Notify Apache Extras projects about the existence of the GitHub organisation
>> (3) Mirror existing Google code git repositories
>
> The current proof of concept is on SourceForge not only because they offered to create
it, but also because many projects use Apache Extras as a repository of auxiliary tarballs.
This is what both Github and Google Code forbid with their recent policies (if I remember
correctly). If it wasn't for the policy changes, I'd happily continue to use Apache Extras
on Google Code, since we have hardcoded links to it in the OpenOffice source code.