community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: ApacheCon Austin keynotes
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:56:50 GMT
dev-unsubscribe@community.apache.org (you need to send it from the subscribed email address,
if that is difficult the help message you get in response will guide you)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Brodsky [mailto:rktsmshr@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:53 PM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: ApacheCon Austin keynotes

Rich,

with no luck.

thx
Mark

On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On 09/24/2014 10:56 AM, jan i wrote:
>> Another little thought. How about trying to get the original team (as
>> many as possible) to talk about that release, how is was, how it felt
>> etc...do it on video, and edit it all into a keynote with one (or more) commentators.
> Brian has agreed to reach out to the original team and get as many of them as possible
to attend. However, I do *not* want to do a panel session of people reminiscing. Allow me
to share my thoughts on this.

> ApacheCon is about the ASF, and we want to be constantly preaching the message that ASF
!= httpd. Brian is a visionary, and does great things in the world at large, and I want him
to talk about a bigger picture than just old memories. The old memories will be part of it,
but the message is that we are now 200 projects, and what we've learned getting from there
to here.

> I'm concerned that having the "old guys reminiscing" talk will detract from that larger
message, as well as reinforce the message that the ASF is mired in the past - something that
we're actively fighting in our messaging.

> Now, it would be cool to have that as a session, in the httpd track. But not as a keynote.
I hope you see my thinking on this.

> Although ... the idea of getting brief video clips of each of the founders and making
a *short* vignette to show at the beginning of the keynote might be kind of awesome. Some
of the are kind of hard to find these days, but most of them are reachable.