community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon Austin keynotes
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:11:21 GMT

On 09/24/2014 10:56 AM, jan i wrote:
> Another little thought. How about trying to get the original team (as many
> as possible) to talk about that release, how is was, how it felt etc...do
> it on video, and edit it all into a keynote with one (or more) commentators.
Brian has agreed to reach out to the original team and get as many of
them as possible to attend. However, I do *not* want to do a panel
session of people reminiscing. Allow me to share my thoughts on this.

ApacheCon is about the ASF, and we want to be constantly preaching the
message that ASF != httpd. Brian is a visionary, and does great things
in the world at large, and I want him to talk about a bigger picture
than just old memories. The old memories will be part of it, but the
message is that we are now 200 projects, and what we've learned getting
from there to here.

I'm concerned that having the "old guys reminiscing" talk will detract
from that larger message, as well as reinforce the message that the ASF
is mired in the past - something that we're actively fighting in our
messaging.

Now, it would be cool to have that as a session, in the httpd track. But
not as a keynote. I hope you see my thinking on this.

Although ... the idea of getting brief video clips of each of the
founders and making a *short* vignette to show at the beginning of the
keynote might be kind of awesome. Some of the are kind of hard to find
these days, but most of them are reachable.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon