community-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] Fallback keynote for Budapest
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:46:05 GMT
One idea: I met Bror Salmelin (http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/bror-salmelin)
from OISPG (https://sites.google.com/site/openinnovationplatform/)
a few years ago at an open source conference in Malta and
have been invited to speak at some confs regarding
open innovation and open source. He's a great guy, and
is a good speaker.

I'd be happy to make intros if desired.

On Sep 24, 2014, at 10:08 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> One of our keynotes for ApacheCon Budapest has been withdrawn, and we need to come up
with a replacement, fairly quickly.

> I wanted to have a bunch of eyes on the options that have been already suggested to me.
If you have a *great* suggestion, and contact info, please speak up. If it's just a random
suggestion and you don't have a personal contact, please save it for next year, as we need
to move quickly on this.

> EU-based speakers are preferred for reasons of logistics.
>
> So, here's what's been suggested so far:
>
> Dirk-Willem suggests: can prolly dig out a BBC one from the woman who is the key brain/architect
behind iplayer and olympics if needed - or something from the BBC archive folks.

> Sebastien suggests: you might reach out to @swardley who has connection with UK gov and
their adoption of open source open standards. It does not seem that the intent was to discuss
open source in e-governement, but It would be an interesting subject and slightly less politically
tainted.

> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier has a talk schedule about why we need to preach the gospel of
Apache more than we're doing now, and this was initially submitted as a keynote.

> I was sure I had more of them, but I'm not able to find them right now in the brief break
between meetings, so please speak up if you've suggested something and I've overlooked it.

> Of these listed, Joe's is the only one that we know for certain that we have already
in the can. The others would require more legwork, and probably more cost.

> While the decision is, in the end, on me, I very much value your input to help me make
the decision. I'd like to have something tentatively decided by the end of the week, and messages
sent out to the potential speakers in question.