community-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Understanding the commit-then-review workflow
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 20:47:13 GMT
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Eric Schultz
<eschultz@prplfoundation.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm trying to understand to the Apache Foundation model of voting in the
> commit-then-review system. If a project is running on a CTR system and
> someone says they dislike a piece of a previous commit, what happens? Does
> it require consensus to remove the code or is the code removed if consensus
> isn't reached to keep it in?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Hi Eric:

So version control helps here, and we tend to refer to outright
objection as a veto. So first, it depends on who is 'disliking' the
particular change or casting the veto. Typically in the Apache
projects, committers (folks elected by the project who have commit
privileges) have binding vetoes. We also only allow vetoes on code for
technical reasons. Generally the original committer will revert the
code if there is a veto. Occasionally the veto is withdrawn after
discussion, but vetoes can't be overridden.

HTH,

--David