community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposing for Apache Member?
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 18:44:01 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> I don't know where you got this, but it definitely is not true that
> every PMC chair is a member. This is not even a requirement.

Sure. I became PMC chair before being voted in as a member, for example.

> It is
> possible and reasonable that an entire project community contains not a
> single ASF member, only committers. Certainly, members must be involved
> during incubation, but there's no requirement for them to stay on the
> project once it has graduated.

This seems less likely. A cursory look at
http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html
seems to confirm that (almost! apparently vcl-pmc does not; but a smart
LDAP query is probably better than me at checking that) all PMCs do
contain at least a member. I remember that when OpenOffice graduated
someone noted that only a couple of PMC members were already ASF
members, and I assume that the same check is done on other projects,
even if it is not a formal requirement.

Regards,
   Andrea.