community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject ApacheCon Europe status and ToDo
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 16:40:42 GMT
Now that I'm caught up from ApacheCon US, I wanted to give folks a
little information about the plans for ApacheCon Budapest, and the ways
in which you can help make it our best conference yet. Those of you who
read the board@ list regularly will find that much of this is repeated
from a note I sent there, but there's some new stuff.

I know this is really long. tldr; we have awesome stuff planned for
Budapest, and the longer lead time means it'll be even awesomer.

The CFP is open - http://apachecon.eu/ or more specifically
http://events.linuxfoundation.org//events/apachecon-europe/program/cfp
We currently have 10 talks proposed. While I expect that people will
leave it to the last minute and expect an extension, the earlier you get
your talk in, the higher chance that folks will actually review it in a
useful manner.

The CFP will close June 25, so we'll want to start pushing it harder at
the beginning of June, although it would be nice to have
project-specific tracks penciled in a long time before that, and we're
getting a lot of cooperation on that from various projects that want to
see dedicated tracks. (So, for internal promotion, I'll be trying to get
specific projects to provide a day or half-day of content.)

If you would like to be involved in reviewing the content for the
conference, please let me know. If you already have an account in the
system, you should be able to log in and start at any time, but if you
weren't involved in content selection for ACNA, you'll need to get
authorized in the system.

We will announce the schedule on July 28, but registration is open
already, and the prices are best right now. Eu799 through August 1,
Eu1099 through November, and Eu1399 thereafter. Committers are always Eu275.

I currently have two keynotes tentatively accepted, both of which I'm
pretty stoked about. Please note that while I'm not being secretive
about this on this list, it would be nice if you didn't publicize these
until we have titles and abstracts. Thanks.

David Nalley will be giving a keynote on the subject of the actual value
of the foundation. We talk all the time about it being a million dollar
organization, but that is just what we have in the back. Pretty much any
established project you pick contributes way more value than that to the
global economy, and we are largely unaware of this economic value. David
will enlighten us. I should have an abstract in the coming weeks.

Douglas Carswell, who in addition to being my best friend in third grade
is also a member of parliament in the UK, has written a book about the
role of social media in engaging people into the conversation about
politics.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-Politcs-Birth-iDemocracy-ebook/dp/B009L20H92/
He'll be giving a talk about those ideas - we're still a little vague on
details, but I should have an abstract in the coming weeks.

I am also in contact with an author of a fairly well known sci fi book
... I'll keep the details to myself until I have at least a tentative
acceptance on that, but I'm pretty excited about it.

The conference format is 3+2 - three days keynotes and conference
sessions, then two days other stuff. Other stuff includes tutorials (if
we can get them to fly this time), the CloudStack conference, a one or
two day Open Office user event (depending on the content we can get for
this), and various project summits including, at this point, Traffic
Server. If your project wants to put together either a content track or
a dedicated full day event, summit, whatever, please let me know, and
get your talks into the system so we can plan content.

A hackathon will run the whole event, and will be right in the middle of
everything so that it can't be missed. It was so well hidden in Denver
that many people were unaware it was there at all. So we're putting it
out in a central area, trading quiet for visibility.

That's pretty much what I've got at this point. The main call to action
right now is to get talk proposals in and register for the event.

As for internal publicity, I've still been pretty much catching up with
all of the loose ends from Denver, and will start preaching the message
to our PMCs starting ... soonish. I've got two major conferences coming
up next month, and will be a little less frenzied after that. If you are
connected with a PMC that is likely to be able to provide a track, it
would be great if you could go ahead and make that connection.

Oh, and also, real soon (hopefully today or tomorrow) we'll have videos
of the keynotes and a small selection of sessions up on the YouTube
channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheApacheFoundation - and we'll
be promoting that content on Twitter from @apachecon. We had some
brilliant keynotes.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon