community-dev mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost-Fromm <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On geeks growing up - wrt. ApacheCon
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2014 18:11:27 GMT
On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 01:51:57PM +0000, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> A number of software / ASF people I know, by virtue of working remotely, are also
> defacto “child handlers” while their partner works in a normal face-to-face
> job. It would be nice to facilitate conference attendees/speakers without requiring
> major family upheaval to take place.

Not everyone involved with ApacheCon (or conferences in general) has kids - one thing I've
learnt in the past is that there is no better input than what parents tell you when it comes
to stuff needed/missing. Would be great if you could motivate the ASF parents you know to
share what would need to change to convince them to bring their family (depending on child
age and other relevant parameters).

One very simple example for illustration: It took me asking parents to understand that conference
dates actually make a huge difference for people with children that go to school: Bringing
those to a weekend event is trivial. Working days outside of holiday season though is not
an option. Obvious once you hear it - not quite so obvious if you don't have children in that
age yourself.

Isabel