community-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How can we support a faster release cadence?
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:11:45 GMT
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 01:27:17 -0200, Joseph Schaefer
<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On Feb 12, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know this looks old-fashioned, even downright anachronistic to
>>> "push-hourly-from-CI" people; but deciding *what* to release *as a
>>> community* is an important responsibility of ASF PMCs.  Putting
>>> things on a rigid schedule basically skips this step, which, IMHO is
>>> a core part of our common culture and values.
>>
>> Should projects who wish to release on a regular schedule avoid Apache?

I cannot see how the Apache policies prevent a project to release on a
regular schedule. As other people mentioned here, nothing prevents a
project from having a weekly release as long as the 72h votes are
respected and the vote passes. This week's vote got rejected? Improve the
release and try again next week. :)

Something I can't recall other people mentioned in this thread, so I'll
mention myself: the word "Apache" before a project name carries some
weight: people expect Apache projects to have high quality and the
Foundation gets projects donated to it because of that (but not only that,
of course). I think the policies target community participation, but
quality as well.

Cheers!

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo