community-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: How can we support a faster release cadence?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 17:35:06 GMT
IMO, a more important question is:  Does it fit within the "Apache Way" of "Community over
Code" to have a project release on a particular schedule?  Because it feels to me that if
you have a release cadence then you are saying "Clock over Community".

I get that having a schedule helps many in the community manage their time and expectations,
but I am concerned that a schedule without wiggle room means that there is less subjectivity
to release quality which can be bad.  No matter how long it takes to get from a Release Manager
starting the packaging to getting it on the dist server, someone may find a critical bug in
that window.  Telling them that they have to wait for the next release is "fair" but may not
serve the best interests of the community.

Then, once you allow subjectivity in a release quality discussion, then I think you have to
give 72 hours because folks are often volunteers and may not have the cycles to respond in
a shorter time frame, but may still have something very important to say, even if you have
your 3 +1 votes already.

Similarly, there are questions about whether a release manager should be allowed to PGP sign
artifacts created on a CI server.

And regarding the steps required to approve a release, it has been my experience on every
project I've worked on or used that the bug base has a "unable to reproduce" option that gets
used often enough to make me believe that a few CI/AutomatedTesting servers are not able to
fully certify quality.  IOW, things that work fine on your computer or on the CI or testing
servers simply may not work on some community member's computer.   And providing a window
of time for finding that out is part of the current release policy.

If you've ever just missed a bus or train, knowing another one is coming soon isn't very satisfying
if you're in a hurry.  If the driver sees you running but looks at his watch and drives away,
how does that make you feel about that person and the company he works for?

Thanks,
-Alex