community-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How can we support a faster release cadence?
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:47:21 GMT
On 10 February 2014 23:13, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I strongly believe we (ASF) shall do whatever we can to make sure our
> > releases are as stable as possible !
>
> Those who advocate scheduled releases and a fast cadence believe that they
> are
> doing exactly that.  In fact, the argument goes that bunching up large
> amounts
> of changes in each release makes for lower quality.
>
> Who's right, you or them?  Are you so sure of your conclusion that you
> believe
> communities which want to follow these practices must be excluded from the
> ASF
> because you believe their software will inevitably be low quality?

I just made personal observations from my personal experience. I am not the
one to judge who is right or wrong. And please remark I did not talk about
excluding projects, that would be very wrong !

I have worked mainly with international projects with participants from
many continents (like many of our projects), and maybe that fact is the
root cause of the problems I have experienced. Having to cope with
china/europe/US within a 24 hour frame, often lead to the problems I
described, and I can only assume it must be a lot harder with volunteers.

I simply tried to suggest a middleway that might be (or might not be)
acceptable to broader group.