community-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: How can we support a faster release cadence?
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 07:04:22 GMT
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Joseph Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The core question for me is do we want to continue
> down this path of attempting to be all things to
> all people with no common culture or values or processes,
> or is there a floor somewhere.  If there is, where
> should it be?

To my mind, the distinguishing characteristic of Apache releases is that they
are vetted by the community before distribution to the general public[1].  The
implementation details matter, but that's what's fundamental.

I came into this discussion with the belief that scheduling the date of a
release well in advance would allow for adequate community review to take
place within a smaller window, especially since frequent releases yield small,
incremental deltas which are easy to review.

I don't see this workflow as foreign or revolutionary at all, but
instead as faithful to the Apache Way both in spirit and letter.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] I'm paraphrasing someone else's quote.  Regrettably, it was on a private
    list so I can't link to their post or give proper credit.